Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Building an Empire

After two days on the road with two very annoyed cats, we made it to Austin on Monday night. We are living in a little motel off of I-35 until we can get into our new place on Saturday. Corey is doing his placement testing and classes start next week. I spent yesterday in the room, so today I decided to venture out. I'm writing this post from the Fine Arts Library on the UT campus. I've applied for two more jobs this morning, to I figure I can take a break to write something for myself.

I had a phone interview last week that went OK. They said they would let me know in the next 10 business days if they want to meet me in person. The job may be a little out of my league, but I'm choosing to stay positive. What I lack in experience I make up for in enthusiasm and scrappiness.

I came across a quote or meme or whatever you want to call it on Facebook the other night that really spoke to me:

I don't know where it originally came from, and the random fan page my friend from high school shared it from had an offensive name, so I chose to save the image an re-post it. Thought he language is a little grandiose, I love the message. Corey and I really are struggling right now, but I'd rather struggle with him than be kept by anyone else.

The lack of responses from my job applications and our slowly diminishing bank account balance have gotten me down lately, but this quote inspires me to keep going, to keep working towards our empire.

Before I sign off, I want to be clear that I don't judge anyone else's choices. I really don't know that many women who haven't chosen love over an easier life, and I don't think I'm better than the ones that do. I just need to be reminded that one day, Corey and I will have careers and a solid financial foundation too, and we will have had love the whole time.

No comments:

Post a Comment